Roasts and Toasts was a blast - and now that we're done I wanted to gather everything together in an easy-to-peruse round-up post. As part of the er, 'experience' I framed the review sets (one roast perfume, and one toast perfume) in a narrative about my totally real and not at all fictional trip to Sucreabeille's private island laboratory. I might have had some Jules Verne on the brain when I decided on how to recount this adventure.
So without further adieu:
( Full reviews, writing, explanations etc behind the relevant links )
S/O to Sucreabeille for providing this image upon special request
Recently I found upon my doorstep a curious envelope sealed with the finest, sparkliest wax. Inlaid in the wax was the familiar mark of a bee.
I opened it and within was a letter issuing a curious summons to a set of geographical coordinates and a plane ticket to a small island off the Pacific coast which shall not be named for reasons that may soon become apparent...
Some of you have already heard my account of that fateful adventure in which I was issued a Gentlefolk’s Challenge. I’m sure you have questions! And I’m sure those of you just tuning in have even more questions.
It’s time for some answers...
DAY ONE: DECONSTRUCTING EDEN PRESENTS LA LA LAND VS CITY OF NIGHT [ LINK ]
A set of contrasts themed around the city of Los Angeles
- La La Land:Orange flowers and raspberries floating in champagne, on a table of sandalwood, bamboo, and amber, wrapped in tonka bean and cashmere with a squeeze of citron peel.
- City of Night:Burning magazine pages, asphalt, urine, and feces under a crystal night sky.
DAY TWO: LIBERTINE BATH HAUS PRESENTS VANILLA BOURBON SMOKED COFFEE VS. SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS WITH A HANGOVER [ LINK ]
A set of contrasts about Saturday mornings after a night of debauchery:
- Vanilla Bourbon Smoked Coffee:Creamy smooth smoked vanilla, the remnants of last night’s bourbon, sandalwood, a soft leather chaise and freshly smoked espresso beans.
- Saturday Morning Cartoons with a Hangover:The same luxuriant notes from the toast... with some extra bourbon, Froot Loops, Cap’n Crunch, Rice Krispies, and a searing headache.
DAY THREE: B. PERRY STUDIOS PRESENTS A SNOBALL'S CHANCE ( IN HELL) VS. THE DEVIL'S LETTUCE [ LINK ]
A take on ... two senses of "baked" . The first is a decadent, straight gourmand the second is that gourmand "baked" in a very different way...
- A Snoball’s Chance (In Hell) : Devil’s food cake piped with cream cheese icing, wrapped in homemade raspberry marshmallow then tossed in coconut.
- The Devil’s Lettuce :A Snoball's Chance ( In Hell ), reeking of patchouli oil, burning incense, and marijuana smoke.
DAY FOUR: SUCREABEILLE PRESENTS CUP OF AMBITION VS CUP OF DESPERATION [ LINK ]
A contrast on two different cuppas.
Cup of Ambition :Toasted marshmallow, three kinds of coffee, dark chocolate.
Cup of Desperation:The same coffee drenched in gasoline and whiskey.
DAY FIVE: SIHAYA AND COMPANY PRESENTS A GOOD DAY WITH THE BABY VS. A BAD DAY WITH THE BABY [ LINK]
A contrast in two different child care days...
A Good Day with the Baby:Toasted vanilla puff treats, lavender shampoo, baby-powder scented lotion, and marshmallow sweet baby giggles.
A Bad Day With the Baby :The fungal remnants of the bottle you forgot in the bottom of the travel bag, spit-up on your shirt, several stinky diaper blowouts and a screaming child that warrants about a gallon of coffee - once freshly roasted, now cold and stale.
I also want to take a moment to say thank-you to all of you following along with Roasts and Toasts. This has been a huge blast. I want to thank Andrea of Sucreabeille for organizing this (it was a huge undertaking!), and Brooke of B. Perry Studios, Chris of Sihaya and Company, Toni of Deconstructing Eden, and Jenn of Libertine Bath Haus for all participating. This took a ton of work from them coming up with new scents and getting samples to me on a deadline. We did this all in about a month and a half y'all!